Safe Grilling in Marshall, Sedalia and Columbia
SERVPRO of Marshall, Sedalia and Columbia is a leader in the fire and water cleanup and restoration.
Grilling season is here! We will now find our neighbors outside soaking up the sun and enjoying food from the grill. Grilling is one of the most popular ways to cook food. Whether you like the flavor of a charcoal grill or the convenience and control of a gas grill, outdoor grilling can be a fire hazard.
Preparing to Cook
- Use grills outside only
- Keep your grill clean
- If using a starter fluid, only use charcoal starter fluid (Charcoal grill)
- Check gas tank hose for leaks before using it for the first time of the year (Gas grill)
- Place them away from
- Low hanging branches
- Children and pets
- Never leave your grill unattended
- Cool coals completely before disposing in a metal container (Charcoal grill)
- Do not place grill against structure
SERVPRO of Marshall, Sedalia and Columbia hope you use these tips to have a safe summer filled with gourmet grilling. If you are grilling a delicious meal, don’t hesitate to call. Happy grilling!
Tornadoes in Marshall, Sedalia and Columbia Area
When storms strike in our area, SERVPRO of Marshall, Sedalia and Columbia is Here to Help®.
Missouri is a high-risk state for tornadoes and is considered to be in “tornado alley.” In our area, tornado season begins mid-March to late June. The majority of tornadoes typically occur between noon and midnight. While most of this time may be spent at home, about 40% of the duration is spent at work. We may have a plan of action when the tornado sirens alarm at home, but do you have a plan if it happens at work?
- Develop a plan for you and your coworkers
- Hold frequent drills
- Purchase a NOAA weather radio for the office
- Know how to shut off utilities
- Move to pre-designated area (interior room or hallway on the lowest floor)
- Stay away from windows
- Get underneath a sturdy table
- Protect head and neck
- Call and notify utility company of a downed power line
- Turn on the radio or television for the latest emergency information
- Do NOT use matches, lighters, appliances, or light switches until you are sure there are no gas leaks
According to Missouri Storm Aware, our state accounts for six of the 25 deadliest tornadoes in United States history. It is very important to always have a plan of action. Being prepared can help save lives. Ask us about our no cost assessment of your facility. SERVPRO of Marshall, Sedalia and Columbia can help your business be prepared before a disaster strikes.
Three Types of Water in Water Damages
If you have a water damage, contact the professionals at SERVPRO of Marshall, Sedalia and Columbia.
To ensure a proper cleanup of a water damage. The type of water must be determined.
Types of Water
Clean Water (Category 1)
Clean water is when the water originates from a sanitary water source. Examples of category 1 water can include: broken water supply lines; tub or sink overflows with no contaminants; and falling rainwater. It should not pose a substantial risk if exposed to water. Clean water can become gray or black water, if it is left untreated.
Gray Water (Category 2)
Gray water is when the water is slightly contaminated. Examples of category 2 water can include: discharge from dishwashers or washing machines; overflows from washing machines; and overflows from toilet bowls on the room side of the trap with some urine. It has the potential to cause discomfort or sickness if consumed. Gray water can become black water, if left untreated.
Black Water (Category 3)
Black water is highly contaminated and can contain fungi, bacteria, chemicals, or other harmful agents. Examples of category 3 water can include: sewage; flooding or any type of natural disaster. It can cause significant adverse reactions to humans if contacted or consumed. Blackwater should always be handled by the professionals.
When you have a water damage, do not leave your property to chance. Call SERVPRO of Marshall, Sedalia and Columbia. We take care of those in our community.
Preparing for a Flood in Marshall, Sedalia, & Columbia and Surrounding Areas
Flooding can happen anywhere...be alert and keep safety on your mind.
The above normal amount of precipitation this winter has led to flooding stages along the Missouri River. What can you do to be prepared for flooding in our area?
- Visit MoDOT Traveler Map for updates on road closures.
- Stay away from floodwaters. Six inches of swiftly moving water can sweep you off of your feet.
- If you approach a flooded road while driving, turn around and find another route.
- Keep children out of the water.
If water is rapidly rising around you and your vehicle, get out of your vehicle quickly and move to higher ground. Most vehicles can be swept away by less than 2 feet of moving water. Always be safe and do not underestimate the power of water.
If a flood does strike your home or business in Waverly, Glasgow, Boonville, or surrounding areas, contact SERVPRO of Marshall, Sedalia and Columbia. Even minor flooding has the potential to cause major damage to a structure when not treated quickly and properly.
Clean Carpets in Marshall, Sedalia, & Columbia
Experience a showcase carpet cleaning.
It is that time of the year again, you know, spring cleaning. We have had a rough winter with freezing rain, sleet, and snow. Have you glanced at your carpet lately? Maintain, protect, and increase the life span of your investment by calling SERVPRO® of Marshall, Sedalia, and Columbia.
- Vacuum regularly
- Spot removal
- Pilating the carpet
- Change traffic lanes by rearranging furniture
- Use mats to limit soil tracked onto carpet
Professional carpet cleaning occurrence depends on the following:
- Soil Build-up
A good rule of thumb is to have them cleaned every 12 months and before they become saturated with soil.
Dirty carpets? Our showcase premier cleaning is the most thorough cleaning method in the industry. Schedule your carpet cleaning with us today and call 660-886-5194 for a cleaning backed by state-of-the-art equipment in our area.
Smoke Alarm Safety in Marshall, Sedalia, & Columbia
Do you have enough smoke alarms in your home?
Smoke alarms save lives. This statement is only true, if they are properly installed and maintained. According to Missouri Department of Public Safety, about 540 children (14 and under) die each year from home fires and 80 percent of those children did not have working smoke alarms in the home. What can you do keep your family safe?
- Every Bedroom
- Every level
- Don’t forget basement and attic
Test & Replace
- Monthly by pressing the test button
- Replace batteries every year (daylight saving time)
- Replace unit every 10 years
- Fire escape plan with two exits
- Practice fire drill
- Interconnect all smoke alarms throughout the home
When fire and water damage take control of your life and home, SERVPRO® of Marshall, Sedalia, and Columbia will help you take it back. We are here to help our neighbors.
What to Expect When Mold is Discovered in Your Marshall, Sedalia, or Columbia Business
SERVPRO of Marshall, Sedalia, and Columbia is here to help with your mold remediation.
There are many types of mold, some are beneficial and others can pose a health concern. In order for mold to grow it needs nutrients, moisture, and time.
Once you discover mold in your business call SERVPRO® of Marshall, Sedalia, and Columbia. We will get the ball rolling on remediating the mold and reduce the potential for future mold growth.
What to Expect
The mold remediation professionals will have specific tasks to complete. They may include:
- Industrial Hygienist – develop a cost-effective removal protocol
- Containment – eliminate the potential for cross contamination
- Air Flow Management – eliminate the potential for cross contamination and provide data to support the effectiveness of containment
- Selective Demolition – remove impacted building materials
- Detailed Cleaning – remove contamination through HEPA vacuuming, scrubbing, and appropriate cleaning
- Ice or Soda Blasting – provide economical and thorough cleaning of building materials when a large area is affected.
- HVAC Cleaning – remove contamination from these systems.
Ice Dams in Marshall, Sedalia, & Columbia
Demonstrates how ice dams form when snow begins to melt and temperatures are at freezing or below.
Ice dams form when:
- Snow is present on the roof.
- Temperature is above 32 degrees Fahrenheit on higher portion of the roof.
- Temperature is below 32 degrees Fahrenheit on lower portion of the roof.
Snow melts down the roof and freezes once it reaches the cooler portion of the roof. The dam grows from the melting snow and water begins to back up on top of the ice. The water tries to find a way to escape and back-flows under the roof’s shingles and into the structure’s interior.
Ice dams can cause significant water damage to ceilings, walls, insulation, and other areas of your home. If your home or business has been affected by winter damage, call SERVPRO® of Marshall, Sedalia, and Columbia. We are here to help those in our communities.
Winter Storm Preparedness
A winter storm can come in a blink of an eye or we can know weeks in advance. Which ever the case may be, being prepared is always key in keeping you and your family safe. Be prepared with these needed items for your home and vehicle.
For the Home
- Flashlight and batteries
- Weather radio
- First aid kit
- Food that does not require cooking or being refrigerated
- Extra water
- Baby items (diapers, formula, etc.)
- Emergency heat source
- Check carbon monoxide and smoke alarm detectors
- Fire extinguisher
- Generator (review safety information)
For the Vehicle
- Tire Chains
- First aid kit
- Battery powered radio
- Flashlight and batteries
- Jumper cables
- Sand or kitty litter
- Candle and matches
- Windshield scraper and brush
Even when you are prepared, you may still experience ice dams, frozen pipes, or roof damage. If you do, call SERVPRO® of Marshall, Sedalia, and Columbia for your water and storm damage restoration needs. We have the expertise and here to help our neighbors.
Faster to Disaster in Marshall, Sedalia, and Columbia
We are available 24/7/365.
Flooding and water emergencies do not care what time of the day it is. They do not have a schedule. SERVPRO® of Marshall, Sedalia, and Columbia understands that water damages can occur at all hours of the day, on weekends, and/or holidays. We provide emergency cleaning and restoration services 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and 365 days a year.
What to Expect in a Water Damage Emergency
On the initial call, you will be able to speak with someone who will empathize with your situation and gather the needed information for us to arrive.
Our uniformed professionals will arrive on site typically within four hours of notification to begin the mitigation services and address your concerns.
SERVPRO® of Marshall, Sedalia, and Columbia is ready to help those in our community with their water damage restoration needs.