Archived Blog Posts
What ultrasonic cleaning can do for you!
This ultrasonic tank can clean a wide variety of materials and products.
Our Ultrasonic Machine system is utilized to clean many different items including items damaged by mold or soot, mainly being used with fire damage. An ultrasonic tank and dryer are paired together to help create a complete drying process. Contents are cleaned in our ultrasonic tank and then they are placed in the dryer to complete the system. This dual system allows for contents to be cleaned efficiently and thoroughly, expanding our range of restorable contents. We can clean some electronics, jewelry, guns, family heirlooms, light fixtures, porcelain dolls, etc. All this is done quickly and efficiently. We can clean a whole assortment of contents as it offers a deep and even clean for even the most delicate items. This system utilizes minimal chemicals and high speed and energy efficient cleaning. Ultrasonic works with high-frequency ultrasonic vibrations, along with the special cleaning solutions to create the effect of millions of tiny bubbles which break down contaminants off the target surface without the need for scrubbing. Even if you don't have fire and water damage in your home and you just need an item deep cleaned, feel free to bring it in and we will be happy to clean the item quickly and thoroughly for you. With our ultrasonic dryer, contents are cleaned in our ultrasonic tank and then placed in this dryer to complete the process.
We Are Cleaning Experts
We are "Ready for whatever happens" and we can clean nonporous and porous surfaces.
SERVPRO is Here to Help during this time of need
During this unprecedented time caused by the global pandemic of coronavirus, this is a reminder to our customers that we are specialists in cleaning services, and we adhere to the highest cleaning and sanitation standards.
We are prepared to clean and disinfect your home or business, according to protocols set forth by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. We have years of experience in dealing with biological contaminants, and we will go beyond the scope of work that regular janitorial staff perform on a daily basis.
The CDC encourages cleaning of high-touch surfaces such as counters, tabletops, doorknobs, light switches, bathroom fixtures, toilets, phones, keyboards, tablets and tables. Other spaces mentioned in the CDC’s guidance for commercial spaces include:
- Kitchen/Food Areas
- Retail Spaces
- Water Fountains
- Sales Counters
- Carpets and Rugs
- Stair Handrails
- Elevator Cars
- Playground Equipment
- Fitness Equipment
The CDC recommends usage of a labeled hospital-grade disinfectant with claims against similar pathogens to the coronavirus. Multiple products in the SERVPRO product line carry the EPA-approved emerging pathogens claims. While there is currently no product tested against this particular strain of the coronavirus, we are following all guidelines as provided by the CDC and local authorities.
Call Today for a Proactive Cleaning
If your home or business needs deep cleaning services, call the experts today – SERVPRO of Marshall, Columbia and Sedalia 888-886-5195
Disaster Recovery Team
No job is too large for SERVPRO of Marshall, Sedalia and Columbia.
When a disaster occurs in Mid-Missouri, you want a team of professionals who are prepared for the unpredictable. Our SERVPRO Disaster Recovery Team can provide help, whether you are dealing with a tornado, severe storm, Polar Vortex, or flooding.
No job to too large for our team. We are available 24 hours a day and 365 days a year (366 during Leap Year). We understand the importance of seamless communication and timely mitigation. Our ability to dispatch trained production professionals and cut costs through the strategic placement and oversight of temporary labor, set us apart.
Clients for the Commercial Large Loss program include the following:
- The Hospitality Industry
- Property Managers
- & More
Should a storm or major event strike, call the professionals at SERVPRO. We are Here to Help.
Space Heater Fires
When a fire is started by a space heater, our team at SERVPRO is Here to Help.
According to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, there are more than 25,000 residential fires every year associated with the use of space heaters, resulting in more than 300 deaths. How can you keep you and your loved ones safe during the colder months?
- Buy only heaters the have been safety tested and UL approved.
- Purchase a heater with a tip-over safety switch.
- Plug directly into the wall outlet.
- If an extension cord is essential, use the shortest possible heavy-duty cord of 14-gauge wire or larger (Always check and follow any manufacturer’s instructions).
- Keep away from flammable objects (3-foot rule).
- Never leave a space heather unattended.
Space heaters can be beneficial by warming up a room quickly, but they can create a disaster. If you experience a fire due to a space heater, call SERVPRO. We are Here to Help and ready to get your home back to preloss condition.
Do you Know How to Turn Off Your Water Supply?
We offer a no cost assessment of your facility and provide property details such as shut-off valve locations.
The amount of water that can leak from a 1/2-inch pipe is about 50 gallons per minute. If the pipe breaks and is left unattended for up to 12 hours, you could have up to 36,000 gallons of water damaging your business. To gain some perspective, a 20 X 40-foot pool (6 feet in depth) holds about 36,000 gallons of water.
Time is of the essence to shut off the water to your property. Review these helpful tips before water strikes:
- Main shut off valves are usually located by the entrance of the water in the commercial building.
- You will usually find a water meter box close to the street, as well.
- If you are unable to locate your main water shut off, reach out to your local water department.
- Once found, make it a point to let employees know the main shut off location(s).
It is always best to be prepared and SERVPRO of Marshall, Sedalia, and Columbia is here to help. We are here when the unthinkable water damage occurs and will get your business back to normal.
The Water You Don't See
SERVPRO of Marshall, Sedalia and Columbia is Here to Help take care of the water you don't see.
When you discover a water damage in your home or business, do you know where the water has traveled?
Water travels. It does not just stop on the surface where it is more obvious. It will travel from the carpet into the padding and make its way to the subfloor. Water can travel under the baseboard and climb the drywall. The drywall can soak up the water like a sponge.
This is why it is important to hire professionals to take care of your water emergency. SERVPRO of Marshall, Sedalia and Columbia will inspect and test the premises to determine the extent of the damage and how far the moisture has traveled. Our team wants to ensure proper and complete restoration, so you can go back to your normal lifestyle.
Winter Storm Power Outages
SERVPRO of Marshall, Sedalia and Columbia are here to help when the weather gets bad and it takes a toll on your property.
Winter in Mid-Missouri can be gruesome. Winter storms can bring sleet, snow, wind, and the dreaded ice. It can last a few hours or several days, even knocking out power. Be prepared for winter storm power outages and know what to do during and after to keep your family safe.
- Make sure your home is properly insulated.
- Install carbon monoxide detectors with battery backup.
- Keep an emergency storm kit ready and easily accessible.
- Know how to shut off water valves.
- Have an alternate plan for medications that require refrigeration.
- Maintain food supplies that do not require refrigeration.
- If temperatures reach below 55 degrees, let faucets drip to avoid freezing.
- Call the power company when the electricity goes out.
- Keep refrigerators and freezers closed.
- Only use generators outdoors and away from windows.
- Disconnect appliances and electronics to avoid damage from electrical surges.
- Gather in central room where there is an alternative heat source (fireplace, kerosene space heater, etc.). Do not use a gas appliance to heat your home.
- Check on your neighbors.
- Watch out and stay away from a damaged power line. Even utility workers can’t tell if a power line is energized just by looking at it.
- When in doubt, throw the food out.
- Check on your neighbors.
If a winter power outage has caused busted frozen pipes in your home or business, call SERVPRO of Marshall, Sedalia and Columbia. We are Here to Help with your water damage 24/7/366.
Continuing Education Classes
Here to Help educate on the restoration industry.
Why SERVPRO? We believe in the power of education and constant learning and training to be ahead in our industry. We offer both credit and non-credit courses for insurance agents, insurance adjusters, and Real Estate professionals to further their education. The classes are designed to improve knowledge of emergency mitigation and better assist customers experiencing a fire, water, or mold issue.
Here are some of the courses that we offer at SERVPRO of Marshall, Sedalia, and Columbia
- Understanding the Restoration Industry: Property Fire Damage Restoration
- Understanding Mold in the Restoration Industry
- Restoring Contaminated Buildings
- Restorative Drying for Water Damage
- Cleaning & Restoring Smoke Damaged Contents
- Biohazard Cleanup
To find out when the next Continuing Education Course (CE) is available near you, review the course offerings or contact SERVPRO of Marshall, Sedalia and Columbia.
Cooking Safety to Prevent Kitchen Fire
SERVPRO of Marshall, Sedalia and Columbia is here to help in case the apple pie leaves you with a fire instead of a full belly.
The holiday season is the time of the year to gather with family and friends. Also, let’s not forget the delicious meals—yum! Holiday meals can bring our bellies cheer with Aunt Mary’s homemade noodles, grandpa’s famous corn casserole or any favorite holiday dish. However, cooking is the main cause of home fires and injuries, according to the National Fire Protection Association. Review these cooking safety tips to help ensure you have a safe holiday cooking experience.
- NEVER leave cooking food unattended. Turn off the stove, even if you think you will be right back in the kitchen.
- Check the food regularly while cooking and use a timer.
- Keep small children away from the cooking area.
- Keep flammables (pot holders, oven mitts, wooden utensils, food packaging, towels and bags) away from the stove, oven, or other appliances that generate heat in the kitchen.
- Prevent grease build-up by cleaning cooking surfaces regularly.
- Purchase and keep a fire extinguisher in the kitchen.
- Install smoke alarms in your home.
If the unthinkable happens and a fire strikes your home this holiday season, contact your local heroes at SERVPRO of Marshall, Sedalia and Columbia. We wish you a safe and happy holiday season.
Winter Ready Business
Get back to business quickly when winter strikes your property.
It may be hard to believe, but winter is right around the corner. In Mid-Missouri we can experience ice, cold winters with sleet, snow, ice, and damaging winds. We may not be able to control Mother Nature, but we can take action by getting the property winter ready with these precautions.
- Check property for downed tree limbs and branches. Winter conditions could cause branches to fall causing damage to property or person injuries.
- Inspect roofs, water pipes, and gutters. Clear gutters of any debris from the fall to prevent a damming effect. Gutter downspouts should be directed away from your building.
- Inspect walkways and parking lots for proper drainage. This could alleviate a potential flood and/or slip hazard.
- Entryways, handrails, and stairwells should be checked to address and correct potential slippery or hazardous areas. Post caution signs where water may be present and install mats or non-slip surfaces in the dangerous areas.
- Protect pipes from freezing. Allow water to drip when temperatures go below freezing. Leave cabinet doors open to circulate warm air, if pipes are under them. Consider shutting off water to outdoor faucets and ensure they are properly drained.
- Emergency Ready Profile. Contact SERVPRO for a no-cost assessment of your facility. It provides you with a plan to get back to business faster following a disaster.
Make sure your business is ready for the bitterly cold weather that may be ahead. If winter weather strikes, SERVPRO of Marshall, Sedalia and Columbia are Here to Help.
Overflowing Toilet Water Damage
Overflowing toilets can be disastrous, so rely on the professionals at SERVPRO of Marshall, Sedalia and Columbia.
It is that time of the year, you know, the holiday season when we stuff everyone in the family in our homes for delicious, comforting meals. You may know to stay in the kitchen while cooking the amazing feast to prevent fire damage, but have you given much thought to your toilets?
Plumbing issues are at the top of the list for water damages. One of the plumbing issues is toilets overflowing. Toilets are more frequently used during the holiday season with the extra guests. Know what to do when your toilet starts overflowing with these tips:
- Adjust the float.
- Don’t keep flushing.
- Use a plunger.
- Turn off water to the toilet—QUICKLY. If the water is overflowing, this should be your first step.
- Call a plumber
- Call SERVPRO of Marshall, Sedalia and Columbia—your water cleanup and restoration professionals. We can safely cleanup any toilet water damage that has affected your home. Learn more about our sewage cleanup and restoration and the three types of contaminated water.
Reduce Toilet Water Damage by:
- Checking after you flush.
- Bi-annual maintenance. Check the components of toilet (supply valve, flush valve, fill, chain, etc.) to make sure they working.
- Know toilet water shut-off location.
If your toilet flooded your home, contact SERVPRO of Marshall, Sedalia and Columbia, your local water cleanup and restoration company. Our team has the experience, expertise, and equipment to ensure your home does not develop mold and is properly cleaned. We are Here to Help 24/7/365 because toilet overflows never happen at a convenient time.
Create a Storm Safety Plan
Severe storms leaving you with a water damage? Contact the professionals at SERVPRO of Marshall, Sedalia and Columbia.
Do you have a storm safety plan for your home and/or business?
Even though severe weather tends to hit Mid-Missouri during spring and the early summer months, severe weather can strike at any time. Since, the weather conditions change in October, we can experience severe weather outbreaks.
Our area has even experienced tornadoes in October. October 29th, 2004, tornado damaged homes in Saline and Pettis counties. According to ABC 17 news, there were 2 tornadoes in October 2007. One traveled through 4 Mid-Missouri counties.
It is best to keep an eye on the forecast and be prepared for storms. One great way to be prepared is have a storm safety plan in place. Create a written plan and go over it with everyone in the family or at work. Designate an emergency meeting area near the home or place of work, in case you get separated during the storm.
Don’t forget to designate an emergency contact person. Choose a friend or a relative out of state, so they may not be experiencing the same disaster. Teach all adults and responsible children the locations of water, gas, and electric shut-offs can decrease your risk of additional damage and increase your safety.
If a severe storm occurs during this fall season and leaves you with water damage, SERVPRO® of Marshall, Sedalia and Columbia is Here to Help®. We understand the unexpected can happen at any time.
Restoration Available 24/7/365
Do you see this? Call SERVPRO of Marshall, Sedalia and Columbia.
Imagine—You are just getting ready to head to bed, but decide to take down the empty Halloween decoration box. Yes, it has been there for a week or so, but this chore is going to be checked off tonight. Once you reach the bottom of the steps, you hear swoosh, smoosh as you walk across the floor. Soon you notice the water that has invaded your home. Who is available at this time of night?
SERVPRO® of Marshall, Sedalia and Columbia
We are available 24 hours, 7 days a week, 365 days a year, except for leap year—then, we are available 366 days. Fire and water damages do not usually happen during the normal work hours. They can happen on holidays, weekends, nighttime, early morning, or happen during the work hour and go unnoticed until you get home.
Call the professionals at SERVPRO® of Marshall, Sedalia, and Columbia we are Here to Help® whatever the time of day.
Plan Your Fire Escape Route
Having a fire escape plan on your home, can keep your family safe.
Fire Prevention Week is October 6th-12th. The theme for 2019 is “Not Every Hero Wears a Cape. Plan and Practice Your Escape!” How can you and your family be prepared for a fire?
Plan Your Escape Route
Draw a layout of your home and mark two exits for each room leading to outside. The exits can be a door or a window.
Test Your Smoke Alarms
There should be a smoke alarm located on each level of your home, in each bedroom, and near all sleeping areas.
Choose an Outside Meeting Place
Choose a meeting place for everyone to meet outside of your home. This could be in your front yard, backyard, or by a tree. Make sure everyone is aware of the spot and that it is far enough away from danger. Don’t forget to dial 911 once you are outside.
Practice Home Fire Drill
Practice makes perfect! Be sure to go run the drill at least twice a year.
For more information on how to be prepared for a fire, visit NFPA.org. If your family suffers from a fire damage contact the professionals at SERVPRO® of Marshall, Sedalia and Columbia. We are Here to Help®!
3 Steps to Prepare Your Business for Disasters
The ERP is available at all times in a digital or physical format.
September is National Preparedness Month and this year’s theme is Prepared, Not Scared. Be Ready for Disasters. Your business can be prepared for a disaster with these three steps:
Have a plan to stay in business
The SERVPRO® Emergency READY Profile® (ERP) can help minimize business interruption by having an immediate plan of action in place for your facility. It is a comprehensive document containing critical information about your business, including emergency contact information shut-off valve locations, and priority areas.
Encourage your employees to become ready
Conduct drills to practice emergency response actions. Have employees get together for preparedness discussions, training, or even a class.
Protect your investment
Preparation is the key to get your property through any disaster. Contact SERVPRO® of Marshall, Sedalia and Columbia to prepare your business for a disaster with a no-cost assessment of your facility.
Helping Mother Nature
When you experience a water damage, contact your local professionals at SERVPRO of Marshall, Sedalia and Columbia.
SERVPRO of Marshall, Sedalia and Columbia are trained in the science of drying water damages using psychrometry. We follow industry-approved standards to help lower the chances of any secondary damages.
Psychrometry is essential in restoring water damaged structure back to its preloss condition. So, what is psychrometry? It is the study of humidity, air flow, and temperature, and their effects on various materials or simply, the science of drying. It helps us determine what state-of-the-art equipment will be used.
When we arrive at the water damaged area in your home or business, we will:
- Inspect the building to detect migration of water, damage to materials, and condition of building.
- Measure how much moisture is in wet materials and monitor the materials through the drying process.
- Speed up Mother Nature by using professional drying equipment.
Mother Nature can allow wet materials to dry in the correct conditions. However, nature can take too long and create secondary damages.
Call SERVPRO of Marshall, Sedalia and Columbia to help speed up Mother Nature’s drying process with professional tools, equipment and knowledge.
Be Alert for Storms
Be alert for storms with weather radios and emergency alerts.
Do you know the most reliable source for weather alerts? A weather radio. They alert you to dangerous weather situations and help provide time to seek shelter before a storm hits. Weather radios have become affordable over the years and cost on average $30. Key features to look for are reviewable alerts, Specific Area Message Encoding (SAME), and ease of programming.
Listed below are the SAME codes (provided by NOAA Weather Radio) for the counties we cover:
Boone - 029019
Cooper - 029053
Howard - 029089
Johnson - 029101
Lafayette - 029107
Pettis - 029159
Saline – 029195
If your home or business is affected by a storm, let SERPVRO of Marshall, Sedalia and Columbia be your helping hand. We are storm and water damage specialists who get started promptly to get your property dry and back to pre-storm condition.
Our Restoration Beginning
SERVPRO of Marshall, Sedalia and Columbia is Here to Help.
Norma and Don Rutter opened SERVPRO of Marshall in June of 1984. Phil worked for them for a year before he and Rebecca bought their first franchise in January of 1994. Later in 1999, they purchased their second franchise, opening SERVPRO of Columbia. SERVPRO of Sedalia was later purchased, but was serviced by them, since 1984.
Believe it or not, Phil went across the Missouri River on a boat with air movers and dehumidifiers, during the flood of 1993. He made a risky trip to help his customers. Phil and Rebecca are proud to serve and be a part of the community. Helping our neighbors get back to their homes and businesses after a fire or water damage is why we are Here to Help®.
How to Use a Fire Extinguisher
Can you PASS?
Imagine, a fire has just started in your home or business. It is contained, oxygen has not been depleted, and the room temperature has only slightly increased. Do you know how to use a fire extinguisher? Your adrenaline may be pumping when a fire occurs, so knowing how to operate one before is best.
Using an acronym, like PASS, will help in memorizing how to properly operate a fire extinguisher.
- PULL the pin.
- AIM low, pointing the nozzle at the base of the fire.
- SQUEEZE the handle.
- SWEEP from side to side at the base.
Remember, safety is always important. Evacuate immediately, if…
- The fire is not contained, smoke is feeling the room, and the temperature is hot.
- You have the slightest doubt of your ability to fight a fire.
- The extinguisher is empty and the fire is not out.
SERVPRO of Marshall, Sedalia and Columbia have the specialized fire restoration training needed to restore your home or business to pre-fire condition.
SERVPRO Disaster Recovery Team
SERVPRO of Marshall, Sedalia and Columbia is Here to Help.
Did your commercial property experience a disaster? Do you know who to call? Call SERVPRO of Marshall, Sedalia and Columbia, no job is too large for us to handle. Our large-loss specialists are strategically positioned to handle any size disaster. The Disaster Recovery Team is made up of the best in restoration.
Clients for the Commercial Large Loss program include:
- Hospitality Industry
- Property Mangers
- The Pentagon
Should a disaster hit our area in Missouri, SERVPRO has storm teams on standby. We are prepared for the unpredictable disasters and available 24 hours a day and 365 days a year. Let us help you get your business back to pre-disaster condition by calling:
SERVPRO Of Marshall 660-886-5194
SERVPRO Of Sedalia 660-826-1144
SERVPRO Of Columbia 573-449-1999
Dishwasher Flooded Kitchen
SERVPRO of Marshall, Sedalia and Columbia is Here to Help with your water damage needs.
On the way out the door to go to work, you turn on the dishwasher. In your mind, that will be one item marked off your to do list. Unfortunately, when you arrive home you discovered that your dishwasher has flooded your kitchen. What should you do besides contact SERVPRO of Marshall, Sedalia and Columbia?
- Turn off the water.
- Safely turn off electricity to wet areas of the building.
- Remove as much excess water as possible.
Save yourself a headache and take these simple steps to prevent a water damage from your dishwasher.
- Regularly maintain dishwasher
- Load it properly
- Use the right soap
- Only use when someone is home
Dishwashers can be very helpful taking loads of dishes off of our hands. If your dishwasher creates a water damage, call SERVPRO of Marshall, Sedalia and Columbia. Our highly trained professionals, are here to help 24/7.
What to Do During a Flood
Get to higher ground during a flood and avoid flood waters.
You may know how to prepare for a flood, but do you know what to do during a flood? Water levels and the rate the water is traveling, can change very quickly. Keep these tips in mind during flooding.
Stay informed. Listen to the radio or watch your local television stations. You may also want to check social media for information and updates.
Get to higher ground.
Practice electrical safety. If electrical outlets or cords are submerged in water do not enter the room. Stay out of water that may have electricity in it.
Avoid flood waters. Do not walk or drive through flood waters. It only takes less than 2 feet of water to carry away large vehicles.
Obey evacuation orders.
If your home or business is facing a water damage, call SERVPRO of Marshall, Sedalia and Columbia. We are available 24/7 to take care of your water damage emergency. We are a trusted leader in the water restoration industry.
Dirty Ducts in Marshall, Sedalia and Columbia
Breath easy and call SERVPRO of Marshall, Sedalia and Columbia.
Do you know the biggest culprit for poor indoor air quality? Your ventilation system. Inspecting the ductwork in your home or facility should be a priority. Ductwork may be out of sight, out of mind, but it should be given the proper attention. Dirty ducts can circulate one or more of the following:
- Dirt and debris
- Insects or pests
- Other contaminants
Keeping the HVAC and ductwork clean can potentially extend the life-span of the equipment by allowing it to work at peak condition. This may also, help you save money. Duct cleaning may not be necessary. Our professionals will inspect your HVAC system and ductwork and make recommendations about the best way to address any indoor air quality concerns.
For more information on duct cleaning, or to schedule an appointment, contact SERVPRO of Marshall, Sedalia and Columbia locations.
Safe Grilling in Marshall, Sedalia and Columbia
SERVPRO of Marshall, Sedalia and Columbia is a leader in the fire and water cleanup and restoration.
Grilling season is here! We will now find our neighbors outside soaking up the sun and enjoying food from the grill. Grilling is one of the most popular ways to cook food. Whether you like the flavor of a charcoal grill or the convenience and control of a gas grill, outdoor grilling can be a fire hazard.
Preparing to Cook
- Use grills outside only
- Keep your grill clean
- If using a starter fluid, only use charcoal starter fluid (Charcoal grill)
- Check gas tank hose for leaks before using it for the first time of the year (Gas grill)
- Place them away from
- Low hanging branches
- Children and pets
- Never leave your grill unattended
- Cool coals completely before disposing in a metal container (Charcoal grill)
- Do not place grill against structure
SERVPRO of Marshall, Sedalia and Columbia hope you use these tips to have a safe summer filled with gourmet grilling. If you are grilling a delicious meal, don’t hesitate to call. Happy grilling!
Tornadoes in Marshall, Sedalia and Columbia Area
When storms strike in our area, SERVPRO of Marshall, Sedalia and Columbia is Here to Help®.
Missouri is a high-risk state for tornadoes and is considered to be in “tornado alley.” In our area, tornado season begins mid-March to late June. The majority of tornadoes typically occur between noon and midnight. While most of this time may be spent at home, about 40% of the duration is spent at work. We may have a plan of action when the tornado sirens alarm at home, but do you have a plan if it happens at work?
- Develop a plan for you and your coworkers
- Hold frequent drills
- Purchase a NOAA weather radio for the office
- Know how to shut off utilities
- Move to pre-designated area (interior room or hallway on the lowest floor)
- Stay away from windows
- Get underneath a sturdy table
- Protect head and neck
- Call and notify utility company of a downed power line
- Turn on the radio or television for the latest emergency information
- Do NOT use matches, lighters, appliances, or light switches until you are sure there are no gas leaks
According to Missouri Storm Aware, our state accounts for six of the 25 deadliest tornadoes in United States history. It is very important to always have a plan of action. Being prepared can help save lives. Ask us about our no cost assessment of your facility. SERVPRO of Marshall, Sedalia and Columbia can help your business be prepared before a disaster strikes.
Three Types of Water in Water Damages
If you have a water damage, contact the professionals at SERVPRO of Marshall, Sedalia and Columbia.
To ensure a proper cleanup of a water damage. The type of water must be determined.
Types of Water
Clean Water (Category 1)
Clean water is when the water originates from a sanitary water source. Examples of category 1 water can include: broken water supply lines; tub or sink overflows with no contaminants; and falling rainwater. It should not pose a substantial risk if exposed to water. Clean water can become gray or black water, if it is left untreated.
Gray Water (Category 2)
Gray water is when the water is slightly contaminated. Examples of category 2 water can include: discharge from dishwashers or washing machines; overflows from washing machines; and overflows from toilet bowls on the room side of the trap with some urine. It has the potential to cause discomfort or sickness if consumed. Gray water can become black water, if left untreated.
Black Water (Category 3)
Black water is highly contaminated and can contain fungi, bacteria, chemicals, or other harmful agents. Examples of category 3 water can include: sewage; flooding or any type of natural disaster. It can cause significant adverse reactions to humans if contacted or consumed. Blackwater should always be handled by the professionals.
When you have a water damage, do not leave your property to chance. Call SERVPRO of Marshall, Sedalia and Columbia. We take care of those in our community.
Preparing for a Flood in Marshall, Sedalia, & Columbia and Surrounding Areas
Flooding can happen anywhere...be alert and keep safety on your mind.
The above normal amount of precipitation this winter has led to flooding stages along the Missouri River. What can you do to be prepared for flooding in our area?
- Visit MoDOT Traveler Map for updates on road closures.
- Stay away from floodwaters. Six inches of swiftly moving water can sweep you off of your feet.
- If you approach a flooded road while driving, turn around and find another route.
- Keep children out of the water.
If water is rapidly rising around you and your vehicle, get out of your vehicle quickly and move to higher ground. Most vehicles can be swept away by less than 2 feet of moving water. Always be safe and do not underestimate the power of water.
If a flood does strike your home or business in Waverly, Glasgow, Boonville, or surrounding areas, contact SERVPRO of Marshall, Sedalia and Columbia. Even minor flooding has the potential to cause major damage to a structure when not treated quickly and properly.
Clean Carpets in Marshall, Sedalia, & Columbia
Experience a showcase carpet cleaning.
It is that time of the year again, you know, spring cleaning. We have had a rough winter with freezing rain, sleet, and snow. Have you glanced at your carpet lately? Maintain, protect, and increase the life span of your investment by calling SERVPRO® of Marshall, Sedalia, and Columbia.
- Vacuum regularly
- Spot removal
- Pilating the carpet
- Change traffic lanes by rearranging furniture
- Use mats to limit soil tracked onto carpet
Professional carpet cleaning occurrence depends on the following:
- Soil Build-up
A good rule of thumb is to have them cleaned every 12 months and before they become saturated with soil.
Dirty carpets? Our showcase premier cleaning is the most thorough cleaning method in the industry. Schedule your carpet cleaning with us today and call 660-886-5194 for a cleaning backed by state-of-the-art equipment in our area.
Smoke Alarm Safety in Marshall, Sedalia, & Columbia
Do you have enough smoke alarms in your home?
Smoke alarms save lives. This statement is only true, if they are properly installed and maintained. According to Missouri Department of Public Safety, about 540 children (14 and under) die each year from home fires and 80 percent of those children did not have working smoke alarms in the home. What can you do keep your family safe?
- Every Bedroom
- Every level
- Don’t forget basement and attic
Test & Replace
- Monthly by pressing the test button
- Replace batteries every year (daylight saving time)
- Replace unit every 10 years
- Fire escape plan with two exits
- Practice fire drill
- Interconnect all smoke alarms throughout the home
When fire and water damage take control of your life and home, SERVPRO® of Marshall, Sedalia, and Columbia will help you take it back. We are here to help our neighbors.
What to Expect When Mold is Discovered in Your Marshall, Sedalia, or Columbia Business
SERVPRO of Marshall, Sedalia, and Columbia is here to help with your mold remediation.
There are many types of mold, some are beneficial and others can pose a health concern. In order for mold to grow it needs nutrients, moisture, and time.
Once you discover mold in your business call SERVPRO® of Marshall, Sedalia, and Columbia. We will get the ball rolling on remediating the mold and reduce the potential for future mold growth.
What to Expect
The mold remediation professionals will have specific tasks to complete. They may include:
- Industrial Hygienist – develop a cost-effective removal protocol
- Containment – eliminate the potential for cross contamination
- Air Flow Management – eliminate the potential for cross contamination and provide data to support the effectiveness of containment
- Selective Demolition – remove impacted building materials
- Detailed Cleaning – remove contamination through HEPA vacuuming, scrubbing, and appropriate cleaning
- Ice or Soda Blasting – provide economical and thorough cleaning of building materials when a large area is affected.
- HVAC Cleaning – remove contamination from these systems.
Ice Dams in Marshall, Sedalia, & Columbia
Demonstrates how ice dams form when snow begins to melt and temperatures are at freezing or below.
Ice dams form when:
- Snow is present on the roof.
- Temperature is above 32 degrees Fahrenheit on higher portion of the roof.
- Temperature is below 32 degrees Fahrenheit on lower portion of the roof.
Snow melts down the roof and freezes once it reaches the cooler portion of the roof. The dam grows from the melting snow and water begins to back up on top of the ice. The water tries to find a way to escape and back-flows under the roof’s shingles and into the structure’s interior.
Ice dams can cause significant water damage to ceilings, walls, insulation, and other areas of your home. If your home or business has been affected by winter damage, call SERVPRO® of Marshall, Sedalia, and Columbia. We are here to help those in our communities.
Winter Storm Preparedness
A winter storm can come in a blink of an eye or we can know weeks in advance. Which ever the case may be, being prepared is always key in keeping you and your family safe. Be prepared with these needed items for your home and vehicle.
For the Home
- Flashlight and batteries
- Weather radio
- First aid kit
- Food that does not require cooking or being refrigerated
- Extra water
- Baby items (diapers, formula, etc.)
- Emergency heat source
- Check carbon monoxide and smoke alarm detectors
- Fire extinguisher
- Generator (review safety information)
For the Vehicle
- Tire Chains
- First aid kit
- Battery powered radio
- Flashlight and batteries
- Jumper cables
- Sand or kitty litter
- Candle and matches
- Windshield scraper and brush
Even when you are prepared, you may still experience ice dams, frozen pipes, or roof damage. If you do, call SERVPRO® of Marshall, Sedalia, and Columbia for your water and storm damage restoration needs. We have the expertise and here to help our neighbors.
Faster to Disaster in Marshall, Sedalia, and Columbia
We are available 24/7/365.
Flooding and water emergencies do not care what time of the day it is. They do not have a schedule. SERVPRO® of Marshall, Sedalia, and Columbia understands that water damages can occur at all hours of the day, on weekends, and/or holidays. We provide emergency cleaning and restoration services 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and 365 days a year.
What to Expect in a Water Damage Emergency
On the initial call, you will be able to speak with someone who will empathize with your situation and gather the needed information for us to arrive.
Our uniformed professionals will arrive on site typically within four hours of notification to begin the mitigation services and address your concerns.
SERVPRO® of Marshall, Sedalia, and Columbia is ready to help those in our community with their water damage restoration needs.
Christmas Tree Disposal in Marshall, Sedalia, and Columbia
SERVPRO of Marshall, Sedalia, and Columbia can help with your Christmas tree fire.
Christmas trees are a beautiful sight and many love to see them glowing with lights. However, no one wants to see one glowing because of a fire. It is very important to dispose of the tree once Christmas is over or the tree has dried out.
In many areas, Christmas trees are collected curbside during the first couple of weeks in January.
According to the National Fire Protection Association, half of the Christmas tree fires are caused by electrical problems or a heat source being too close. When Christmas tree fires do occur, they tend to be more serious fires.
If you experience a fire in your home, call the professionals at SERVPRO® of Marshall, Sedalia, and Columbia. We are here to help you with your fire damage in your home. SERVPRO® of Marshall, Sedalia, and Columbia hopes you can wrap up the holidays safely.
Commercial Water Damage Restoration in Marshall, Sedalia, and Columbia
We are here to help with your commercial water damage in Marshall, Sedalia, and Columbia areas.
What would you do? You walk into your business ready for a productive day at the office. Suddenly, you notice water pouring into the building. What is your next step?
If possible, shut off the source of the water or contact a qualified party to stop the water source.
Call SERVPRO® of Marshall, Sedalia, and Columbia.
We understand that time is money when it comes to your business. We can be on-site within a few hours to help reduce any further damage water can cause. SERVPRO® of Marshall, Sedalia, and Columbia has the right procedures, equipment, and training to help ensure the structure is dry the first time. In turn, this will save you time and money.
Learn more about our local commercial water damage restoration by clicking HERE.
SERVPRO of Marshall, Sedalia, and Columbia Water Damage Restoration Process
Trust SERVPRO of Marshall, Sedalia, and Columbia for your water damage needs.
Every water damage is a little different, and entails a unique solution. However, the general process of a water damage stays the same. Listed below are the steps for a typical water damage emergency.
Step 1: Emergency Contact
Cleanup and restoration begin with a phone call. We have a representative to answer your phone call 24/7/365. They will lead you through several questions to better understand your needs of the water event.
Step 2: Inspection and Damage Assessment
Our SERVPRO professional completes a detailed inspection of your property and determine the scope of the damage.
Step 3: Water Removal/Water Extraction
This step removes the majority of the water from your home or business.
Step 4: Drying and Dehumidification
SERVPRO of Marshall, Sedalia, and Columbia professionals will manipulate temperature and relative humidity to remove the remaining moisture. Daily monitoring will occur until the materials reach an acceptable drying goal.
Step 5: Cleaning and Sanitizing
Walls, floors, and other surfaces of the property will likely need professional cleaning treatments once the area is dry. Restoring contents, odor removal and deodorization, and sanitizing treatments occur during this step.
Step 6: Restoration
This is the final step in the process of restoring your property to its pre-water damage condition.
Winter Storms in Marshall, Sedalia, & Columbia
Are you READY for winter weather?
We have already begun to see the snow fall this fall/winter. Whether you enjoy seeing the white landscape or not, it is best to be prepared for winter storms. A winter storm can last a few hours or several days, even knocking out power.
- Create an emergency supply kit for your car and home.
- Sign up for your community’s warning system.
- Prepare home to keep pipes from freezing.
- Test smoke alarms and carbon monoxide.
- Stay off roads.
- Stay indoors.
- Listen for emergency alerts and information.
- Check on neighbors.
If you experienced frozen pipes, ice dams, or roof damage from a winter storm leaving behind a water damage, contact SERVPRO® of Marshall, Sedalia, and Columbia. We have the winter storm experience and expertise to remediate damage caused by winter weather.
Highly Trained Restoration Professionals in Marshall, Sedalia, & Columbia
SERVPRO® of Marshall, Sedalia, and Columbia is an IICRC certified firm.
Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. We believe initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC industry certification is a must to properly take care of our customers. Our training program includes the following:
- IICRC Training
- Employee Certification Training
- Initial Franchise Training
- Continuing Education Classes
SERVPRO® of Marshall, Sedalia, and Columbia takes pride in our training and what our crew has accomplished. Listed are some of our crews’ certifications they have earned to provide our customers quality service.
- AMRT - Applied Microbial Remediation Technician
- ASD - Applied Structural Drying Technician
- CCT - Carpet Cleaning Technician
- ECTP - Employee Certification Training Program
- FSRT - Fire & Smoke Damage Restoration Technician
- IICRC Certified Firm
- OSHA - 10-hour General and/or Construction Industry Training Program
- RCT - Rug Cleaning Technician
- RRRP - Lead-Based Paint Activities and Renovation
- RRT - Carpet Repair & Reinstallation Technician
- UFT - Upholstery & Fabric Cleaning Technician
- WRT - Water Damage Restoration Technician
If you would like to schedule service for your home or business, please call today!
What to Do Until Help Arrives After a Fire in Marshall, Sedalia, & Columbia
Unsure what to do after a fire in your home or business? Call SERVPRO® of Marshall, Sedalia, and Columbia.
If your home or business suffers a fire, you may be at loss on what steps to take next. The following tips may help reduce damage and increase your chances of a successful restoration.
- Limit movement in the property. It helps prevent soot particles from becoming embedded into your carpet and upholstery.
- Keep hands clean. It could further soil upholstery, walls, woodwork, etc.
- Cover upholstery, rugs, and carpet traffic areas by placing dry, colorfast towels or old linens on them.
- If electricity is off, empty refrigerator/freezer. Clean completely and prop open doors to help prevent odors.
- Change HVAC filters; leave system off until a trained professional can check them.
- Cover air registers with cheesecloth. Tape double layers to prevent soot particles from getting in or out of the HVAC system.
- If heat is off during winter, pour RV antifreeze in sinks, toilet bowls, holding tanks and tubs to avoid freezing pipes and fixtures.
When you experience a fire damage make sure to call the professionals at SERVPRO® of Marshall, Sedalia, and Columbia. We are here to help make it “Like it never even happened.”
Commercial Fire Damage in Marshall, Sedalia, & Columbia
SERVPRO of Marshall, Sedalia, and Columbia is here to help when a fire occurs in your business or property.
Fire damage can be very overwhelming for a business or commercial property. At SERVPRO® of Marshall, Sedalia, and Columbia we understand the importance of getting you back to your pre-fire condition quickly. Not only may you experience fire, smoke, and soot damage, water damage caused by firefighting efforts and fire suppression systems may occur, also.
Tasks to expect from the professionals:
- Detailed Cleaning – to remove excess soot or other contaminants from impacted areas through HEPA vacuuming and dry sponging.
- Selective Demolition – to remove unsalvageable materials or property.
- Pack Outs – to remove salvageable personal property from the affected area for off-site cleaning and storage.
- Air Flow Management – to remove airborne contaminants and soot and to reduce offensive odors
- Deodorization – to remove or mask offensive odors and return the affected area to a usable space
SERVPRO® of Marshall, Sedalia, and Columbia will respond quickly and manage the fire restoration project through to its completion. We have the training, experience, and equipment to manage your commercial fire damage and get your property business-ready.
Managing Mold in Marshall, Sedalia, & Columbia
We understand mold and mold growth and have the training and equipment to remediate mold in your home or business.
SERVPRO® of Marshall, Sedalia, and Columbia knows prompt action is required with water damages to prevent the growth of mold in your home or place of business. Water intrusions can result from storm damage, plumbing or equipment failures, long-standing leaks and poor humidity control. It is important to address water intrusions to reduce the chances of mold growth.
If you are experiencing an ongoing moisture problem in your building, be on the lookout for:
- Visible mold.
- Strong, musty odors (may indicate mold is present).
- Any evidence of past moisture problems that may have caused undetected mold growth.
- Excessive humidity.
These situations may require the expertise of a qualified Indoor Air Quality/Environmental Professional to inspect the building for mold growth and water damage issues.
If your home or business has a mold problem, we can inspect and assess your property and use our specialized training, equipment, and expertise to remediate your mold infestation. We are locally owned and operated and take pride in providing mold remediation services in our local communities in Boone, Howard, Saline, Cooper, Lafayette, Pettis, and Johnson counties.
Dos & Don’ts when Faced with a Water Damage in Marshall, Sedalia, & Columbia
When faced with a water damage, call the professionals at SERVPRO of Marshall, Sedalia, and Columbia.
Imagine, you come home from a long day of work and are ready to relax and unwind. You head downstairs to grab some food from the freezer for dinner and notice all the water in your newly remodeled basement. Not the relaxing evening you were imagining. What do you do?
- Call your local restoration professionals at SERVPRO® of Marshall, Sedalia, and Columbia.
- Find the source of the water and shut it off, if possible or contact a qualified party to stop the source of the water.
- Turn off circuit breakers for wet areas of the building, when access to the power distribution panel is safe from electrical shock.
- Remove as much excess water as possible by mopping and blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removing lamps and tabletop items.
- Enter rooms with standing water where electrical hazards may exist.
- Enter affected areas if electrical equipment, electrical outlets, circuit breakers, or switches are exposed to water.
- Use your household vacuum cleaner to remove water. It could possibly cause electrical shock or damage to the vacuum.
- Turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet or enter rooms where ceilings are sagging from retained water.
- Leave books, magazines, or other colored items on wet carpets or floors. They may cause staining.
If you experience a water damage in your home or business, call SERVPRO® of Marshall, Sedalia, and Columbia. We cover Boone, Howard, Saline, Lafayette, Cooper, Pettis, and Johnson counties. Our professional technicians are trained and understand how to manage the drying process. We never expect a water damage to happen, but if it does, call the team that can make it “Like it never even happened.”
Severe Weather: Severe Thunderstorm Watch versus Severe Thunderstorm Warning
When storms hit the area, SERVPRO® of Marshall, Sedalia, and Columbia is Here to Help®.
Do you know the difference between a severe thunderstorm watch and a severe thunderstorm warning?
Watch: Be Prepared! This is issued by the National Weather Service when conditions are favorable for the development of severe thunderstorms in and near the watch area. The watch area normally covers numerous counties. They are typically issued for a duration of four to six hours. During the watch, stay informed, review safety rules, and be ready to act if a severe thunderstorm warning is issued.
Warning: Take Action! This is issued when either indicated by radar or reported by spotters. A warning typically covers the size of a city or small county. They are typically issued for a duration of one hour. People in the affected area should seek safe shelter immediately. Severe thunderstorms can produce tornadoes with little or no advance warning. Lightening is not a criteria for issuing a severe thunderstorm warning.
When storms hit, SERVPRO® of Marshall, Sedalia, and Columbia is close by and ready to respond to your flood or storm damage emergency. We are proud to serve our local communities.
*Source: National Weather Service
Firework Safety in Marshall, Sedalia, & Columbia
Have a safe 4th of July!
Firework season is among us! They are often used for special events and holidays—most commonly 4th of July. Fireworks can fill the sky with their beauty and create oohs and aahs from spectators, but they cause thousands of burns and eye injuries each year.
What you can do have a safe 4th of July…
- BE CAREFUL!
- Keep a close on children and pets when fireworks are being used.
- Do not operate fireworks under the influence of alcohol.
- Always have a bucket of water or fire extinguisher nearby.
- Dispose of used fireworks by wetting and placing them in a metal trash can away from any building.
SERVPRO® of Marshall, Sedalia, and Columbia wants you to have a safe 4th of July. If your home or business suffers fire or smoke damage, contact SERVPRO® of Marshall, Sedalia, and Columbia to help make it “Like it never even happened.”
Commercial Services in Marshall, Sedalia, & Columbia
SERVPRO of Marshall, Sedalia, and Columbia is here to help you with your commercial restoration and cleaning needs.
When it comes to your business, you need a cleaning and restoration company that provides excellent results while minimizing the disruption to your employees and clients. SERVPRO of Marshall, Sedalia, and Columbia has the expertise and training to help make it “Like it never even happened.”
We are here to help to your business, no matter the size.
- Small Office Buildings
- Large Office/High-Rise Office Buildings
- Apartment Buildings
- Small Retail Stores
- Large Retail/Big-Box Stores
- High-Rise Residential
- Manufacturing & Industrial
Commercial Building Restoration Services
SERVPRO of Marshall, Sedalia, and Columbia has the expertise, equipment, and highly trained personnel to handle your commercial water, fire, or mold damage. Most importantly, we are available 24 hours a day to restore your property and get you back to business. Our commercial restoration services include:
- Commercial Water Damage Restoration
- Commercial Fire Damage Restoration
- Commercial Mold Remediation
- Commercial Storm Damage Cleanup
- Disaster Recovery Team
Commercial Building Cleaning Services
Whether your need is removing an odor problem or deep-cleaning flooring or carpets, you can depend on SERVPRO of Marshall, Sedalia, and Columbia to get the job done right the first time. We’ll respond promptly and make your work space look its very best.
Mold Remediation and Restoration in Marshall, Sedalia, & Columbia
Have you discovered mold in your home or business? Here mold has been found behind drywall.
When a water source (leaky roof or plumbing) is introduced to a home or business, it can quickly become infested with mold. Mold can spread throughout a property in 48-72 hours. It has the potential to produce allergens and irritants that may cause additional health effects.
When you suspect mold in your home or business, SERVPRO of Marshall, Sedalia, and Columbia can inspect and assess your property. If mold is discovered, we have the training, equipment, and expertise to handle the situation.
Mold exists almost everywhere, including indoors and outdoors. This makes it impossible to remove all mold from a home or business. Read over the following mold facts:
- Mold spores thrive on moisture and can quickly grow into colonies when exposed to water.
- Mold spores are microscopic and float in the air. They can enter your home or business through AC/heating systems, doors, or windows.
- The source of water or moisture must be addressed before the remediation can start. If not, the mold can return.
- What’s that smell? Mold can produce a musty odor.
- Higher than normal indoor humidity can aid mold growth. It is best to keep humidity below 45 percent.
If April showers leave you with a moldy May, contact the professionals at SERVPRO of Marshall, Sedalia, and Columbia. We are here to help our fellow communities.
Sewer Backups in Marshall, Sedalia, & Columbia
Have you experienced a sewer backup? Contact the professionals at SERVPRO of Marshall, Sedalia, and Columbia to make it "Like it never even happened."
Sewer Backup—What is It and Am I Covered?
A sewer backup occurs when sewage from sanitary sewer lines back up into homes and businesses through drain pipes. Backups create damage to the structure of the property, contents, and can create health hazards.
According to the Insurance Information Institute, most homeowner and business insurance policies do not cover sewer backup. Typically, a specific sewer backup coverage needs to be added to your policy. For most insurers, this is a nominal cost on your annual insurance policy.
There are several causes for a sewer backup to occur in your property. Some include:
- Blockages from Tree Roots
- Sanitary Main Blockages
- Aging Sewer Systems
- Combined Pipelines
What can you do to help prevent backups?
- Dispose of grease and paper products properly
- Cut back tree roots periodically
- Replace your line with new plastic pipe
- Correct any illegal plumbing connections
- Install a backwater prevention valve
Experiencing a sewer backup?
In the event of a backup, immediately arrange services for the cleanup of your property by contacting SERVPRO of Marshall, Sedalia, and Columbia at 660-886-5194.
Tips on What to Do Until SERVPRO Help Arrives
- Avoid all contact with sewage and items contaminated by sewage.
- Wash your hands thoroughly after contact with contaminated items.
- Do not spread contaminated water by walking unnecessarily on damaged or wet areas.
- Do not turn on the HVAC system if there is a chance of spreading contaminated air.
- Do not use household fans to dry the structure and spread contaminants.
Are You Prepared for an Emergency?
Be prepared for the unexpected disaster.
Ready.gov suggests you have supplies to last you at least three days. The Midwest tornado season, tends to occur from mid-March to June and Missouri is considered to be apart of “tornado alley”. As Missourians, we need to be prepared.
Here are some suggestions on items to have in your emergency supply kit:
—3-day supply of non-perishable foods
—Water (one+ gallon per person per day)
—Sleeping bag or blankets
—Cell phone charger
—Change of clothes
—Matches in waterproof bag
—Wrench or pliers to turn off utilities
—Whistle to signal for help
—Infant formula and diapers
—Important documents such as insurance policies, IDs, and bank records in a plastic container
While creating your emergency supply kit for your home or business, create one for your vehicle.
SERVPRO of Marshall, Sedalia, and Columbia specializes in flooding and storm damage restoration. We have extensive water damage and storm restoration training that allows us to get your home back to normal quickly.
Heating Safety Tips
Did your heating equipment cause a fire in your home or business? SERVPRO® of Marshall, Sedalia, and Columbia.
According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), half of home heating related fires occur in December, January, and February. Whether you are using the furnace, fireplace, wood stove, or portable heater to keep you warm this winter, take these precautions to prevent a fire in your home or business.
Safety for Heating Equipment
- Keep heating equipment three feet from children, pets, and anything that could burn.
- Do not heat your home with your oven.
- Have a qualified professional install stationary space heating equipment, water heaters or central heating equipment according to the local codes and manufacturer’s instructions.
- Heating equipment and chimneys should be cleaned and inspected every year by a qualified professional.
- Always turn portable heaters off when leaving the room or going to bed.
- Make sure the fireplace has a sturdy screen to stop sparks from flying into the room.
- Test smoke alarms at least once a month.
If your heating equipment causes a fire in your home or business, call SERVPRO® of Marshall, Sedalia, and Columbia. We understand how devastating a fire loss can be and how it can make your home or business unlivable or unsafe.
Please refer to our Fire Damage Tips - Until Help Arrives Guide and follow these tips to protect yourself and your property.
Winter Tips to Prevent Frozen Pipes Bursting
SERVPRO® of Marshall, Sedalia, and Columbia can respond faster to your frozen water pipe disaster.
The temperatures have been dropping and the winter weather is here. When the temperatures go below freezing level, your property is at risk for frozen pipes, which can create a major disaster in your home or business.
- Know where your water shut off is located, in case of a frozen water pipe burst.
- Insulate exposed pipes in your home or business, especially if they are in unheated rooms.
- Open bathroom and kitchen cabinet doors during cold spells to allow warmer air to circulate around the plumbing.
- During extremely cold weather, keep a slow trickle of water flowing through faucets. Running water is less likely to freeze.
- Consider shutting off outdoor faucets and open the outdoor faucet to help ensure it completely drains and the inner valve is shut off.
- Keep your heat set to the same temperature both day and night.
- If you plan on being away from your property for an extended period of time, leave the heat on and set the thermostat to at least 55°F.
Discovered Frozen Pipe
- First sign of freezing is reduced water flow from a faucet.
- Keep the faucet open when treating frozen pipes.
- Apply heat to the frozen sections using a heating pad, hair drier, or another safe heat source. Do not use an open flame device.
- Check additional pipes and faucets for freezing.
When a Pipe Bursts
- Shut off the water at the main valve.
- Call your local restoration professionals, SERVPRO® of Marshall, Sedalia, and Columbia.
A burst pipe can cause considerable damage to your property if not addressed quickly. If winter weather causes water damage to your home or business, call SERVPRO® of Marshall, Sedalia, and Columbia. We are available 24/7/365 and are ready to restore your property to preloss condition.
Holiday Safety Tips for Marshall, Sedalia, & Columbia
According to National Fire Protection Agency, Christmas tree fires are not common, but when they do occur, they are more likely to be serious.
The holiday season is here and we are able to enjoy time with our family and friends. Decorations bring the holidays to light. Keep your holidays merry and bright with these tips to help prevent damage to your home when choosing, placing, and decorating the Christmas Tree.
Christmas Tree Safety
· Choose a tree with fresh, green needles
· Make sure the tree needles to not fall off when touched
· Trim 2” from the base of the trunk, then place in tree stand
· Always place the tree at least 3 feet away from any heat source, including fireplaces, radiators, candles, heat vents, or lights.
· Do not block an exit with the tree
· Add water to the tree stand and water daily.
· Use lights that are listed by a qualified testing laboratory.
· String of lights with worn or broken cords or loose bulb connections need to be replaced.
· Read manufacter’s instructions for number of light strands to connect.
· Do not use lit candles to decorate tree.
· Always turn off Christmas tree lights before going to bed or leaving home.
· Remove tree from home/business when it is dry.
· Do not place dry tree in home, garage, or placed up against your home outside.
· Find a local community recycling program to dispose of tree.
According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA.org), these Christmas Tree safety tips can reduce the chances of a fire ruining your holidays.
Please remember SERVPRO of Marshall, Sedalia, and Columbia is here to help you, if you find yourself faced with a holiday fire damage. We are available 24/7/365.
Deep Fried Turkey Safety for Marshall, Sedalia, & Columbia
Deep frying the turkey this year? Sounds delicious! Be careful this holiday season.
It is that time of the year again when family and friends come together for a feast. The highlighted dish for Thanksgiving is centered on the turkey. There are several ways to cook a turkey, but a favorite among some is deep fried.
If you plan on deep frying a turkey this year, please keep the following tips in mind. SERVPRO® of Marshall, Sedalia, and Columbia would like everyone to have a safe holiday with their family and friends.
- Thaw and Dry turkey completely before cooking.
- Thaw the turkey in the refrigerator approximately 24 hours for every 5 pounds, according to The National Turkey Federation.
- Ice or water that mixes can cause flare-ups
- Fryer Setup
- Use fryer outdoors and away from decks, garages, home, and other structures.
- Keep children and pets away from fryer
- Use on a flat surface to avoid accidental tipping
- Tank and burner should be 2 feet apart
- Measure the Oil
- Avoid overfilling by reading the manufacturer’s instructions
- Be Prepared
- Use oven mitts to protect hands and/or arms
- Safety goggles to protect eyes
- Have a grease-rated fire extinguisher nearby and ready
- Finishing Act
- Remove pot from burner and place on level surface
- Allow oil to cool overnight before disposing
Most importantly NEVER leave fryers unattended. Please be careful this holiday season and share these tips with your friends and family that enjoy fried turkey.
If you do become a victim of a deep-fryer fire, SERVPRO® of Marshall, Sedalia, and Columbia is here to help. We are available 24/7/365 days a year. View our fire damage emergency tips to help minimize the damage to your home.
October is Fire Prevention Month – Every Second Counts
Developing and practicing a fire escape plan can increase your chance of survival in the event of a fire. Photo provided by NFPA.org.
Every second counts during a fire. In just a matter of moments, a small flame can turn into a major fire. Be prepared and have a fire escape plan in place, to increase your chance of survival. The best way to be prepared is having a fire escape plan and working smoke detectors in place.
The National Fire Protection Association designates one week in October to focus on fire prevention. This year, it begins on Sunday, October 8th and ends on Saturday, October 14th. Their theme this year is “Every Second Counts: Plan 2 Ways Out!”
Fire Escape Planning Tips:
- Draw map of your home
- Consider escape ladders for sleeping areas on upper levels
- Choose an outside meeting place
- Teach children how to escape on their own
- Practice your fire escape plan during the day and at night
SERVPRO® of Marshall, Sedalia, and Columbia wants you to stay safe. If your home or business suffers fire or smoke damage, contact SERVPRO® of Marshall, Sedalia, and Columbia to help make it “Like it never even happened.”
*Tips provided by National Fire Protection Association, nfpa.org.
Is Your Business Prepared for an Emergency?
Be prepared for a flood or fire damage with an Emergency Ready Profile.
National Preparedness Month is the perfect time to develop a readiness plan for your business in Marshall, Sedalia, and Columbia. SERVPRO of Marshall, Sedalia, and Columbia is here to help you get a plan in place for free!
Advantages of the SERVPRO Emergency Ready Profile
- A no-cost assessment of your facility.
- A concise profile document that contains only the critical information needed in the event of an emergency.
- A guide to help you get back into your building following a disaster.
- Identification of the line of command for authorizing work to begin.
- Provides facility details such as shut-off valve locations, priority areas, and priority contact information.
Schedule and ERP
SERVPRO of Marshall, Sedalia, and Columbia can put together an Emergency Ready Profile for your business for free. There are no contracts or obligations, we just want to help your business. Preparation is key for making it through any size disaster. Schedule an appointment today with SERVPRO of Marshall, Sedalia, and Columbia by calling 660-886-5194.
For Immediate Service in Marshall, Sedalia, and Columbia, Call SERVPRO
Marshall, Sedalia, and Columbia Residents: We provide immediate service day or night!
SERVPRO of Marshall, Sedalia, and Columbia provides 24-hour emergency service and is dedicated to being faster to any-sized disaster. We can respond immediately to your emergency and have the expertise to handle your restoration or cleaning needs.
- 24-Hour Emergency Service
- Faster to Any-Sized Disaster
- Highly Trained Restoration Technicians
- A Trusted Leader in the Restoration Industry
- Locally Owned and Operated
- Advanced Restoration and Cleaning Equipment
Have Questions? Call Us 24/7 – 660-886-5194
Whether your home needs emergency flood damage or your upholstery cleaned, you can depend on us. Our technicians have extensive cleaning and restoration training and can make your property look its best. Learn more about our residential services:
- Water Damage Restoration
- Fire Damage Restoration
- Mold Remediation
- Storm Damage Restoration
- Cleaning Services
- Building/Reconstruction Services
There's never a convenient time for fire or Water damage to strike your commercial property. Every hour spent cleaning up is an hour of lost revenue and productivity. So when the need arises for professional cleaning or emergency restoration services we have the training and expertise to respond promptly with highly trained technicians to get your property back to business. Learn more about our commercial services:
- Commercial Water Damage Restoration
- Commercial Fire Damage Restoration
IICRC Certified Firm
We are an IICRC Certified Firm.
SERVPRO of Marshall, Sedalia, and Columbia is an IICRC firm. The Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC) creates the standards for the restoration industry and provides training and certification to restoration companies. IICRC Certified Firms have the right to display the IICRC Certified Logo.
IICRC Certified Firms must
• Present accurate information to consumers and conduct business with honesty and integrity.
• Require a technician on all jobs who has been formally trained and passed all required tests.
• Require a continuing education program to keep technicians up-to-date on the latest changes in the industry.
• Maintain liability insurance to protect all parties in the event of an accident.
• Maintain a written complaint policy and agree to Better Business Bureau or similar arbitration to resolve disputes, and accept the conclusions and recommendations of arbitration.
The IICRC Develops The Standards For The Restoration Industry
The IICRC has been the driving force in establishing the main industry standards and reference guides for professional carpet cleaning, water damage restoration and mold remediation. These IICRC standards take years to develop and require the coordination of experts in the field: manufacturers, industry organizations, insurance professionals, training schools, contractors, and public health professionals.
Every five years, the standards are reviewed and updated. The water damage restoration field changes rapidly with advancements in technology and science, and therefore the standards must evolve to keep pace.
About SERVPRO of Marshall, Sedalia, and Columbia
SERVPRO of Marshall, Sedalia, and Columbia specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration and we are an IICRC Certified Firm. We believe in continuous training: from initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
Are You Ready for a Disaster?
An emergency plan in the palm of your hand.
It is important to be prepared for a disaster before it occurs. 50% of businesses may never reopen following a disaster. The majority of the businesses that survive had a preparedness plan in place.
SERVPRO® of Marshall, Sedalia, and Columbia knows how important it is for a business to have minimal interruption and an immediate plan of action. The SERVPRO® Emergency READY Profile® is a quick reference of vital building and contact information. It contains the information needed to begin mitigation and recovery services.
The SERVPRO® Emergency READY Profile® Advantages:
- Access emergency plan through smart phone, tablet, and internet.
- Guide to help you get back into your building following a disaster.
- Identification of the line of command for authorizing work to begin.
- Provides facility details such as shut-off valve locations, priority areas and priority contact information.
Call SERVPRO® of Marshall, Sedalia, and Columbia to get started and know you are “Ready for whatever happens.” 660-886-5194
Marshall, Sedalia, & Columbia 24 Hour Emergency Water Damage Service
SERVPRO of Marshall, Sedalia, and Columbia provides 24 hour fire and water damage restoration service.
SERVPRO of Marshall, Sedalia, and Columbia is available 24 hours a day for water emergencies, large or small. When you are dealing with water damage, immediate action is crucial. A delay of just a few hours can greatly increase the severity of the water damage.
We Answer the Phone Ready to Help
Call Today - 660-886-5194
We understand that when you call us, you may be feeling confused, stressed, and vulnerable. You need an expert to guide you through this crisis. SERVPRO of Marshall, Sedalia, and Columbia has the specific water damage training and experience to help you through this tough time. We specialize in water damage restoration—in fact, it's the cornerstone of our business.
What to Expect
When you call, we will ask several questions regarding your water damage emergency. These questions will help us determine what equipment and resources to bring, including how many trained SERVPRO Professionals may be needed.
Our SERVPRO Representative will ask several questions:
- Your name and contact information
- Your insurance information (if applicable)
- The street address of the water-damaged home or business
- When did the flooding or water damage occur?
- What caused the water damage (if known)?
- Is there electricity available (on-site)?
About SERVPRO of Marshall, Sedalia, and Columbia
SERVPRO of Marshall, Sedalia, and Columbia specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
When Storms or Floods hit Marshall, Sedalia, & Columbia, SERVPRO is ready!
Our highly trained crews are ready to respond 24/7 to storm or flood damage in Marshall, Sedalia, and Columbia.
SERVPRO of Marshall, Sedalia, & and Columbia specializes in storm and flood damage restoration. Our crews are highly trained and we use specialized equipment to restore your property to its pre-storm condition.
Since we are locally owned and operated, we are able to respond quicker with the right resources, which is extremely important. A fast response lessens the damage, limits further damage, and reduces the restoration cost to your property.
Resources to Handle Floods and Storms
When storms hit Marshall, Sedalia, and Columbia, we can scale our resources to handle a large storm or flooding disaster. We can access equipment and personnel from a network of 1,650 Franchises across the country and elite Disaster Recovery Teams that are strategically located throughout the United States. We are here to help!
Have Storm or Flood Damage? Call Us Today 660-886-5194