Holiday Safety Precautions
The holiday season is here and we are able to enjoy time with our family and friends. Decorations bring the holidays to light. Keep your holidays merry and bright with these tips to help prevent damage to your home when choosing, placing, and decorating the Christmas Tree.
Christmas Tree Safety
· Choose a tree with fresh, green needles
· Make sure the tree needles to not fall off when touched
· Trim 2” from the base of the trunk, then place in tree stand
· Always place the tree at least 3 feet away from any heat source, including fireplaces, radiators, candles, heat vents, or lights.
· Do not block an exit with the tree
· Add water to the tree stand and water daily.
· Use lights that are listed by a qualified testing laboratory.
· String of lights with worn or broken cords or loose bulb connections need to be replaced.
· Read manufacter’s instructions for number of light strands to connect.
· Do not use lit candles to decorate tree.
· Always turn off Christmas tree lights before going to bed or leaving home.
· Remove tree from home/business when it is dry.
· Do not place dry tree in home, garage, or placed up against your home outside.
· Find a local community recycling program to dispose of tree.
According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA.org), these Christmas Tree safety tips can reduce the chances of a fire ruining your holidays.
Please remember SERVPRO of Marshall, Sedalia, and Columbia is here to help you, if you find yourself faced with a holiday fire damage. We are available 24/7/365.