Space Heater Fires
According to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, there are more than 25,000 residential fires every year associated with the use of space heaters, resulting in more than 300 deaths. How can you keep you and your loved ones safe during the colder months?
- Buy only heaters the have been safety tested and UL approved.
- Purchase a heater with a tip-over safety switch.
- Plug directly into the wall outlet.
- If an extension cord is essential, use the shortest possible heavy-duty cord of 14-gauge wire or larger (Always check and follow any manufacturer’s instructions).
- Keep away from flammable objects (3-foot rule).
- Never leave a space heather unattended.
Space heaters can be beneficial by warming up a room quickly, but they can create a disaster. If you experience a fire due to a space heater, call SERVPRO. We are Here to Help and ready to get your home back to preloss condition.