Deep Fried Turkey Safety for Marshall, Sedalia, & Columbia
It is that time of the year again when family and friends come together for a feast. The highlighted dish for Thanksgiving is centered on the turkey. There are several ways to cook a turkey, but a favorite among some is deep fried.
If you plan on deep frying a turkey this year, please keep the following tips in mind. SERVPRO® of Marshall, Sedalia, and Columbia would like everyone to have a safe holiday with their family and friends.
- Thaw and Dry turkey completely before cooking.
- Thaw the turkey in the refrigerator approximately 24 hours for every 5 pounds, according to The National Turkey Federation.
- Ice or water that mixes can cause flare-ups
- Fryer Setup
- Use fryer outdoors and away from decks, garages, home, and other structures.
- Keep children and pets away from fryer
- Use on a flat surface to avoid accidental tipping
- Tank and burner should be 2 feet apart
- Measure the Oil
- Avoid overfilling by reading the manufacturer’s instructions
- Be Prepared
- Use oven mitts to protect hands and/or arms
- Safety goggles to protect eyes
- Have a grease-rated fire extinguisher nearby and ready
- Finishing Act
- Remove pot from burner and place on level surface
- Allow oil to cool overnight before disposing
Most importantly NEVER leave fryers unattended. Please be careful this holiday season and share these tips with your friends and family that enjoy fried turkey.
If you do become a victim of a deep-fryer fire, SERVPRO® of Marshall, Sedalia, and Columbia is here to help. We are available 24/7/365 days a year. View our fire damage emergency tips to help minimize the damage to your home.