5 Ways to Protect Your Home
These 5 tips to help prevent storm damage to your home or business. Call on our team if you need help during a disaster.
- Clean the gutters as clogged and damaged gutters are what often what lead to roof leaks and foundation leaks. When your gutters are full of leaves and debris it prevents the water from draining down the down spout and away from the structure causing water to pool on the roof and around the foundation.
- Check your foundation. If you have cracks or large gaps in your foundation water could seep into your home or business during a heavy rainstorm causing water damage, water will find any source inside it can. Also check the grading around the property and make sure that the grade naturally drains the water away from the structure.
- Pack up all outdoor furniture and other light items. Often times outdoor furniture is made from light weight materials and in a strong wind guest can rip it up into the air and launch it into your or others home, business or vehicles causing significant damage.
- Know how to shut off your utilities. If storm damage happens you may need to shut off the utilities. It’s a good practice to locate all utility shut offs and know how they work before a storm hits. Make sure all parties that are on the property know where these items are and how to properly turn them off.
- Inspect your property for dead or damaged trees. In a storm trees can get knocked down or limbs are torn off. Call a licensed arborist for help with this inspection and solving the issue safely.