How to Use a Fire Extinguisher
Imagine, a fire has just started in your home or business. It is contained, oxygen has not been depleted, and the room temperature has only slightly increased. Do you know how to use a fire extinguisher? Your adrenaline may be pumping when a fire occurs, so knowing how to operate one before is best.
Using an acronym, like PASS, will help in memorizing how to properly operate a fire extinguisher.
- PULL the pin.
- AIM low, pointing the nozzle at the base of the fire.
- SQUEEZE the handle.
- SWEEP from side to side at the base.
Remember, safety is always important. Evacuate immediately, if…
- The fire is not contained, smoke is feeling the room, and the temperature is hot.
- You have the slightest doubt of your ability to fight a fire.
- The extinguisher is empty and the fire is not out.
SERVPRO of Marshall, Sedalia and Columbia have the specialized fire restoration training needed to restore your home or business to pre-fire condition.